Sunday, October 22, 2006

John 1

Growing up in church all my life I have heard different interpritations of this opening to the book of John. Ive heard that this describes the infalliability of the Bible. I see that as a huge misinterpritation. Yes, the Bible was the inspired word of God, but it was writtin by the hands of men. And being a man I know how far I can "toss that stone".
The Word refers to the the knowledge of God. Jesus was the imbodiment of what God wanted to the world to know. And John wants his readers to know where Jesus came from and how long hes been around. I think this might also delve a little into the argument after Jesus' death about him not being devine and mortal at the same time. Many believed it was impossible to be both at the same time. I say what the heck do we even really begin to understand about the devine nature?
John goes on to give a record of himself, who he is, and what he is doing. He does this through a story of a conversation between him and som rabbis.
The testamony of John after this is interesting to me because some of it, like John baptizing Jesus, obviously came first hand, but then there are other portions that had to have been through his own desciples. This does not bother me as I would find the book of John more credible as it came directly from one "touched" by God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home